Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Sweet Potato Fudge


What are your favorite Christmas traditions? Does your family have a special meal you eat or a game you always play on Christmas eve? Or special decorations that you put out every year? I don't know if I've told you this or not, but I'm a little bit Christmas crazy. I love the lights and the tree and all my ornaments collected around the world. I love the food memories of time with family and my extensive nativity scene collection. But most of all, I love the reason for the season and the opportunity to celebrate the birth of Jesus.


As I sit here the week after Christmas, still enjoying the lights on the tree, I thought, hmmm...why not extend the holiday a few more days and share a Christmas treat that can be whipped up in 5 minutes and enjoyed any time of the year. So, Merry Christmas to all and I hope you all enjoy this quick and easy fudge!




Sweet Potato Fudge
Serves: 8
Time: 10 minutes + 3 hours to set

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cooked sweet potato - mashed
2/3 cup coconut butter
1 T carob powder
1/4 t ground cinnamon
1 T honey
Zest of 1 mandarin orange

Method:
- combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat
- stir until all combined
- spoon into candy molds, or pour into a parchment lined 8x8 inch baking pan spread to 1/2 inch thick
- freeze until set (2-3 hours)
- store in an airtight container in the freezer
- allow to come to room temperature for a few minutes before eating

*A note about "AIP Treats": While it is true that this fudge and other treats on this blog are made with AIP friendly ingredients, it should be noted that the AIP diet is primarily about nutrient density and healing and with that in mind treats should be reserved for special occasions. This are occasional foods, not everyday food. Treat often are higher in sugar content (even fruit) and as sugar causes inflammation for many of us following AIP, we need to make treats an occasional part of our lives. 

** This recipe was shared on Phoenix Helix AIP Roundtable