I know what you're thinking.It's 110 degrees outside in Dubai and I'm posting soup recipes.
I promise I'm not insane.
You know I love soup and I'm not fickle. If I love something I love it all the time even when it doesn't make sense. So, to me there is no such thing as soup weather or non soup weather. I love soup all the time.
And, the advantage of eating soup in the summer is that you can make a huge batch of it over the weekend and not have to heat the stove up for a few days. Plus, with this soup you get 2 cups of veggies in every bowl. Talk about green goodness.
These two cups of veggies in each bowl pack a powerful nutrient punch. Check it out:
asparagus - high in vitamin k, folate & copper - plus its an anti-inflammatory food
leeks - high in vitamin k & manganese - and they help to protect blood vessel linings
cauliflower - high in vitamin c, vitamin k & folate
And, when you add broth you get all the gut healing benefits.
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Go make this soup.
(with Crispy Maple Bacon)
Time: 35 minutes
1 T olive oil
3 cups sliced leeks (fresh or frozen)
2 cups sliced asparagus (optional - leave a few tips out for garnish)
3 cups cauliflower florets (fresh or frozen)
1 t garlic powder (or 3 cloves minced)
1 t pink himalayan salt
1 T herbs d'provence
6 cups broth
4 slices bacon
1 1/2 T maple syrup
(1) heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat
(2) add leeks and saute for 4-5 minutes
(3) add cauliflower, asparagus, garlic powder, salt, herbs and broth and bring to a boil
(4) simmer for 20 minutes - until cauliflower is tender
(5) blend until smooth using an immersion blender
(6) while soup is cooking, cut the bacon into thick strips and cook until crispy. Drain the fat and toss the bacon in the maple syrup in the warm pan - then set to the side
(7) serve soup topped with a few pieces of bacon & optional asparagus tips
** See below for print friendly recipe
*** This recipe was shared on this week's phoenix helix roundtable