Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Italian Tuna Mousse {AIP, Paleo, Coconut Free}


Who said tuna salad isn't classy enough for a party? This 'Tuna Mousse' turns humble tuna salad into a dip/ spread you can be proud to serve at your next gathering. Or, if you don't have any party plans, it makes the perfect light lunch or afternoon snack for one. I'm taking it on the airplane for one of my meals. The tuna, avocado & olive oil all provide you with some satiating healthy fats, the hidden spinach adds an iron boost and the lime and oregano provide the flavors of the Mediterranean. 





 

This recipe was inspired by two things....
(1) Necessity - I'm getting ready to travel (about 27 hours door to door including a 14.5 hour flight) and need some travel foods to eat on the plane and simply don't have time to cook anything more complicated.
(2) I keep seeing delicious looking salmon spreads - like this 'salmon & leek pate' from healing family eats, but they all seem to have coconut cream and sometimes coconut isn't my friend, and wouldn't want to risk it on a long flight. I love avocado in my tuna salad (well I love avocado anywhere), so I decided to give it a try and I was pleasantly surprised.

Normally I wouldn't consider eating tuna on a plane, because the thought of opening canned fish in a confined space doesn't seem very fair to the unfortunate strangers who are sitting near me. But, this Italian olive oil packed tuna that I've been eating recently doesn't have a fishy smell at all and the flavor with the olive oil is amazing. In fact I'm a big fan of a can of this tuna just dumped on a bunch of salad greens for a really quick lunch. 

So, I pulled out the food processor and whipped this up...(in the time my breakfast was heating up in the microwave I might add). Can't get any quicker than that. The 5 minute prep time included me searching out the oregano and finding the right bowl to photograph it it....All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up.

I packed it with a bag of baby carrots and a bag of plantain chips for the flight. My thought was that having something to much on for a longer amount of time would also fill some of the boredom of the flight. 

But, you could just as easily whip this up and serve it with a platter of veggie and plantain or sweet potato chips for a fun party food. 


 

Italian Tuna Mousse
{AIP, Paleo, Coconut Free}

Time: 5 minutes
Serves: 1 (for lunch) or 6 (for a party dip)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup baby spinach
2 T parsley
1 t dried oregano
1 lime - juiced
1/2 of a medium haas avocado
1 can tuna (packed in olive oil) - *SEE NOTE

Method:
- place spinach, parsley, oregano, lime juice, avocado, oil from tuna & 1/4 of the tuna in a food processor and blend til smooth
- place remaining tuna in a bowl and flake apart
- add avocado mixture and stir til well combined
- serve with veggies (carrots, celery, cucumber) and plantain chips

**NOTE on TUNA - My preference for this is olive oil packed Italian tuna as it has a milder taste and less fishy smell. If you can't find this kind of tuna, use whatever AIP compliant tuna you have and drain it well if packed in water and add 1T of a good quality olive oil to the avocado mixture.

** See below for print friendly recipe