Living in a country with two seasons (beautiful and hot are what I call them), I'm a little confused with the ideas of spring and fall. But, from what I hear... the northern hemisphere is enjoying spring with flowers and birds and light flavors. And, the southern hemisphere is in the middle of fall/ autumn with colder temps and nights around bonfires and rain.
Because seasons don't really dictate food around here, I tend to eat odd combinations. Soup in the summer, fresh berry topped salads in the winter and often mix winter and summer foods into the same meal. I told you that I'm confused, right?
But, there are days when I go to the store and all the 'seasonal' foods start calling out for me to buy them. Last week, I saw Meyer lemons in Dubai for the first time and decided I needed a springy dish to highlight those beauties. Walking around the produce section, I picked up parsley and zucchini and thought of some crab meat I had at home in the fridge. Hmmm... a crab pasta dish seemed like the perfect way to enjoy the meyer lemons.
If you don't have a spiralizer, these are my favorite two with links to get one for yourselves. (affiliate links)
Once I got home, this meal was ready in no time.
I cooked some pancetta, sauteed some veggies, spiralized some parsnips, tossed it all together with the cooked crab meat and dinner was served.
If you're looking for a quick weeknight dinner, full of nutrients (check out the vitamin B12, vitamin K and phosphorous),...or if you're looking for a dish to impress your guests, then this is the dish for you.
Crab & Meyer Lemon Pasta
Time: 20 minutes
1/2 T olive oil
100 grams/ 3.5 ounces lardons (uncured pork belly cubes) or pancetta cubes
1 medium zucchini - chopped into bite sized pieces
2 garlic cloves - finely minced
1 t sea salt
2 Meyer lemons - zested and then juiced (regular lemons work too - give a more lemony taste)
8 ounces/ 225 grams cooked crab meat (canned is ok)
2 medium sized parsnips - spiralized
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup parsley - finely chopped
- prep your ingredients - chop zucchini, garlic & parsley - spiralize parsnips - zest & juice lemons
- cook lardons or pancetta in olive oil over a medium heat in a large skillet
- once lardons/ pancetta are cooked - add zucchini, lemon zest, garlic and salt
- allow zucchini and garlic to cook for about 3 minutes while stirring (to prevent garlic from burning)
- add crab meat and stir to combine
- add spiralized parsnips, water and the juice of the lemons
- simmer on low until water mostly cooks out and parsnips are 'al dente'(add more water if needed to get noodles to your desired doneness)
- add chopped parsley and toss to combine all the flavors.
- serve with a simple green salad for a quick and easy dinner
** See below for print friendly recipe
** This recipe was shared on the Phoenix Helix AIP Roundtable