Friday, April 1, 2016

Celeriac Dill Mash {AIP, Paleo, Low fodmap, vegan}


Do you remember the Friends episode where they were celebrating Thanksgiving and everyone wanted a different kind of potatoes? Joey wanted tots, Phoebe wanted peas and carrots mixed in, Ross wanted with lumps and Rachel wanted creamy with no lumps. With her constant need to please everyone, Monica attempted to make them all.
But, a mishap in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (the underdog balloon got away) took them all to the roof with no key to get back into the apartment, while the food gets burnt to a crisp inside. When they finally make it back into the kitchen, Monica exclaims... 'potatoes are ruined, potatoes are ruined, potatoes are ruined' as she points at all the different now-charred potatoes.

You may ask, why did you start this post talking about ruined potatoes, thanksgiving and Friends episodes? The only answer I can give you is that Friends references run in my blood (I'm of the generation that stayed in the college dorm on Thursday nights to watch Friends with my friends) and I tend to relate most things back to Friends. So, while making these mashed celeriac, and saw how beautifully they were whipping up, I kept thinking of Monica making all the potatoes

Potatoes may be a thing of the past for those of us who react badly to nightshades, but who needs a potato (in any form) if you can have a big bowl of this celeriac mash.





Celeriac is a new vegetable to me. In the last year or so I discovered a prepared celeriac puree in the frozen section of my local grocery store and it has become my 'breakfast cereal of choice.' I love to heat up a big bowl of it and top it with a crumbled sausage patty - it reminds me of grits and sausage. YUM! I also love it with topped with leftover baked salmon. Now that's a breakfast of champions.

But, let's face it, celeriac is a scary vegetable. I mean it knobby and often caked in dirt and has that weird hairy root section. It really is quite intimidating. Terrifying appearance aside, I was coming to love this vegetable and knew I had to learn to cook it. So, a few weeks back I braved my first celeriac purchase and I haven't looked back since. That first recipe was 'salt & vinegar celeriac fries' which are amazing if you ask me. And since then, the knobby root has been in my grocery basket every time I hit the store. I guarantee that you'll be seeing more celeriac recipes from me.

HMMM... celeriac tots, celeriac fries, celeriac mashed with and without lump, scalloped celeriac.... and now we're back to the Friends episode.

This celeriac mash whips up just like you remember your favorite mashed potatoes and will fool anyone. The dill helps to mask the slight celery taste and makes them a fun side dish for fish. Plus, without the addition of anything creamy, they have a light and creamy texture. AND...as if those weren't enough reason to eat them... they are low fodmap. I think this just might be the perfect vegetable dish.



Celeriac Dill Mash
Serves: 3
Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
1 celeriac
1 t pink himalayan salt
3 T finely chopped fresh dill

Method:
- peel celeriac and chop into 1 inch pieces
- place in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil
- once boiling, add 1/2 t salt to the water and reduce to simmer
- allow to simmer until celeriac is fork tender - about 20 minutes
- drain and return to the pot
- use an immersion blender to puree
- add chopped dill and 1/2 t salt and stir well to combine

Serve with:
BBQ Chicken Legs or Crab and Bacon Stuffed Salmon and your favorite salad for a meal that's sure to impress













https://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/3362525032/celeriac-dill-mash/wizard/