Sunday, March 20, 2016

Salt & Vinegar Celeriac Fries {AIP, Paleo}




When I lived in Tanzania (as a kid), we would regularly travel to Kenya and one regular stop in Nairobi was for newspaper wrapped fish and chips that truly were finger licking good. The funny thing about this grease soaked dinner was that it wasn't at a hole in the wall chip shop, but instead was at a 5 star hotel....white linens, proper cutlery, etc. and fish and chips was presented wrapped in newsprint on top of a white china plate. 



It was in this fancy hotel restaurant that I learned to love the flavor combination of salt and vinegar. I would drizzle malt vinegar all over my plate and relish every bite.

Eating these fries....probably more accurate to call them 'chips' with the vinegar...makes me think of grease soaked newsprint and crispy fried fish. YUM! No fish at home today, so I'll have to settle for a burger with my 'chips.' 


If you've never tried celeriac, there are probably a couple of things stopping you...
(1) That is one intimidating looking vegetable. I don't know how many times I walked past it in the produce section before I got up the nerve to put one in my basket. It's a giant root. It's skin is rough and knobby and looks kind of woody.
(2) You're probably imagining the taste of celery and trying to imagine that taste in a fry. I promise it doesn't taste like celery. It has a faint celery or parsley like taste, almost like you cooked some celery in with your potatoes before making mashed potatoes. To me it takes on the flavor of whatever you eat it with and is fairly neutral.

Celeriac has recently become one of my favorite vegetables (as anyone who follows me on IG will know). My norm is to eat it as a puree with various meat or veggies on top - almost like a hot breakfast cereal.

These chips are the perfect accompaniment for burger night or for your fried fish and the vinegar masks any residual celery flavor. I like how the outside gets crispy while the center of the fries remain soft (and slightly chewy).





Salt & Vinegar Celeriac Fries

Time: 1 hour
Serves: 2-3

Ingredients:


  • 1 celery root
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 1/2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 t sea salt
  • 1/2 t dried herbs 
    (thyme & rosemary)
Method:
  • preheat oven to 400F/ 200C
  • peel and cut the celery root into french fry shapes
    (peel using a sharp knife - cutting off the nobbly skin until you only have the white root)
  • toss fries in oilve oil, apple cider vinegar, salt & herbs
  • place fries in a single layer without touching on a parchment lined baking sheet....you’ll need 2 trays for a full celery root
  • bake for 45- 50 minutes, turning once during baking until they are a golden brown with crispy edges (thinner fries will take less time, thicker fries will take more time - so you’ll need to test one to make sure it’s cooked to your liking)