Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Butternut Breakfast Bites {AIP, Paleo, coconut free}



One of the most common questions I hear from fellow 'aip-ites' is "WHAT CAN I EAT FOR BREAKFAST?" Admit it, you've yelled (or thought loudly...yes, thoughts can be loud) the same thing at least once.

What's Your Breakfast Criteria?
  • quick
  • filling
  • nutritious/ nutrient dense
  • palatable early in the morning
  • sometimes portable
QUICK - For me, this used to mean cold cereal or a pack of instant grits. Now, I see quick as breakfast stoup or any other leftover soup, burger patties or dinner leftovers.

FILLING - My pre-AIP filling breakfast was grits and sausage or biscuits and gravy. Today my filling choices are 'southern breakfast' or stuffed sweet potatoes.

NUTRITIOUS - This used to mean "diet" in my head, so maybe some fruit and yogurt or maybe a smoothie. Today, this often means leftover baked salmon, roasted veggies and 1/2 an avocado. I love starting the day with seafood.

PALATABLE IN THE MORNING - I know for a lot of people, the thought of meat and vegetables at breakfast is hard to adjust to, especially when your go to for so many years was toast and jam or with the occasional egg or sausage. In my mind, this is where the need for 'breakfast flavors' comes into play, so I might suggest banana bread oat'less'meal or maple and sage sausage skillet.

PORTABLE - Is this where I admit my previous love for strawberry pop-tarts or the McDonald's drive through? {HUMOR PAUSE: Recently I found myself in the McD drive thru...don't ask.... When I got to the window, the woman said 'do I know you? I think I know you.' I said maybe. She asked if I was a regular customer and I admitted that I used to be. She said, 'yes, 2 hash browns and a diet coke. what happened? where have you been? you're thin...you used to be fat.' I smiled and responded with...'you haven't seen me order hashbrowns in almost 2 years.'} So, what are my portable AIP breakfast options? Today I'd go for burger patties or lamb kofta and a piece of fruit (or an occasional smoothie)




BUT, what if you need something that's tasty, filling, fast, portable and nutrient dense? These "Butternut Breakfast Bites" are the perfect solution. You can make a batch over the weekend. They can be eaten hot or cold. They've got your veggies and your protein, so they're nutrient dense. You could even hide some liver (or other organ meat) in the mix to up the nutrition.

Pair 5 or 6 of these with a simple salad, and you've got breakfast covered!


  


Butternut Breakfast Bites

Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4-5

Ingredients:
1 pound ground lamb (or pork or beef)
1 cup cooked butternut - mashed
10 mint leaves (if using lamb) or coriander/cilantro (with beef or pork) -finely chopped
3 T fresh parsley- finely chopped
1/2 t cinnamon powder
1 t garlic powder
1 t sea salt

Method:
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C
- combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well with your hands until spices and butternut are thoroughly mixed through the meat
- using a small cookie scoop, or your hands, roll mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and place into mini muffin tins
- bake for 20 minutes until golden brown on the edges and meat is no longer pink in the middle




Sign up here to get a FREE 'Batch Cook Guide' and always be the first to find out about new Adventures in Partaking recipes.


This recipe was shared on Phoenix Helix AIP Recipe Roundtable