Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Thai Meatballs {AIP, Paleo, Low FODMAP}

Thai Meatballs {AIP, Paleo, Low FODMAP} Time: 20 minutes Serves: 4  Ingredients: 1 pound ground grass fed beef (pork or lamb or chicken would also be good) 2 T grated fresh ginger (I store mine in the freezer) 20 mint leaves 1/3 cup mixed herbs - equal parts parsley & cilantro - chopped 1 spring onion - green part only - chopped 1 lime juiced + 1 lime for squeezing at the table 1 t fish sauce 1/2 t salt coconut or olive oil for cooking



Do you ever have one of those days where you just don't know what to cook? Who am I kidding? I know we all have those days. You know what I'm talking about. You come home from work and open the fridge and don't see anything to eat, so you go to the sofa and sit down. Five or ten minutes later you walk back to the fridge and open the door again. Then back to the sofa and back and forth and back and forth.


I had one of those days yesterday. In fact my confusion about what to eat started earlier in the afternoon. I went to the grocery store and walked through the produce section with no inspiration. I picked up some limes and herbs, but had no idea what the plan was.

I got home and the fridge...sofa...fridge routine began. I saw the ground beef. I went back to the sofa. I opened the freezer and saw the ginger. (tip: store ginger in the freezer and it's easier to grate and use the amount you need). Back to the sofa. What do herbs, limes, ginger and beef make?

 


Finally after thinking and thinking and thinking some more about those ingredients I started thinking Thai food. I remembered a trip to Thailand 6 years ago where I had the most amazing pad thai on the beach in Phuket. It was made in a street cart with no refrigeration, so I opted for the vegetarian version. The flavors of ginger and the squeeze of lime at the end was perfect. So, now I knew it would be Thai food of some variety, but what would it be?


Finally, I thought of meatballs. Once the inspiration was there, the cooking process was a breeze and dinner was ready within minutes. (well, after I took the time to take these pictures). Basically I grated some ginger, chopped some herbs, added some fish sauce, mixed it all into the meat and made the meatballs.

The combination of herbs - cilantro, parsley, mint & spring onions - might seem a little unusual, but they play well with each other and with the tang of the lime and the sharpness of the ginger to create a flavorful bite. A few of these meatballs and some leftover veggies made a perfect and simple dinner (and breakfast might I add).



Thai Meatballs {AIP, Paleo, Low FODMAP}
Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
1 pound ground grass fed beef (pork or lamb or chicken would also be good)
2 T grated fresh ginger (I store mine in the freezer)
20 mint leaves
1/3 cup mixed herbs - equal parts parsley & cilantro - chopped
1 spring onion - green part only - chopped
1 lime juiced + 1 lime for squeezing at the table
1 t fish sauce
1/2 t salt
coconut or olive oil for cooking

 


Method:
- finely chop all the herbs - make a big pile of all of them on the chopping board and chop away
- grate the ginger
- combine mix-ins - herbs, ginger, salt, fish sauce, lime juice in a bowl
- add the mix-ins to the ground beef
- form into small meatballs (1 inch)
- heat coconut or olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and place meatballs in the pan
- cook for 4-5 minutes then turn and cook another 4 minutes, then move them around in the pan for another 3-4 minutes until all sides are brown and they are cooked through (remove one to test the doneness)
- serve with a roasted veggies, a simple salad, or on zoodles
- extra lime wedges for squeezing over the meatballs is also a good idea


** This recipe was shared on Phoenix Helix AIP Round-up