Thursday, January 14, 2016

Lamb and Apricot Curry {AIP, Paleo, Whole30}


Curry has always been one of my favorite comfort foods. For a couple of years I ate vegetarian thai green curry at the food court closest to my work at least 4 times a week. Maybe I overdosed on nightshades. :) That would explain a lot.

I love the heat. I love the creamy sauce. I love the deep developed flavors that usually time lots of time. I love soaking up all the goodness with a chapati. There isn't anything I don't love about curry.....
Well....except for the swollen joints and pain that a bowl full of nightshades gives me. After more than a year on AIP I know that nightshades and sugar are my biggest triggers and I try to avoid them at all costs.

BUT, what's a curry loving girl to do??

This curry recipe is proof that AIP food doesn't have to be bland. It can be full of flavor...and even SPICE. If you want even more proof, then check out this new cookbook.



   
"SPICE" is 90+ AIP and Paleo Compliant recipes that are all full of flavor. Nothing bland or boring about these dishes. I had the 'Parsnip Saag Aloo' with my curry.... you can see it in some of the pictures, and it was awesome.




The inspiration for this curry came in the strangest of places. I recently bought a pressure cooker. Mine is a stove-top version, but I would love an Instant Pot (if only I could get one in 220V and shipped here), but I can't so I'm happy with the one I have that makes great broth and made this curry taste like it had been simmered all day in about an hour. The funny thing is that I grew up with a pressure cooker and that thing used to FREAK me out. I always thought it would explode. But, this new one seems very safe and I LOVE how quick it is.


NOTE: this recipe is written for pressure cooking, but contains instructions for stove top and slow cooker, so it's an all around cook friendly dish.

So, I said the inspiration was the pressure cooker, but it was a combination of the pressure cooker and the amazing lamb I saw at the store, but it was already 6 pm and there was no way I was going to wait hours for dinner. So, I pulled out the pressure cooker and this curry was ready in no time.

This curry is sweet and savory and rich and has a depth of flavor that you wouldn't expect with just a hint of heat from the ginger & garlic. The dried apricots do give it a fairly high sugar content, but I find that eating fruit with meat decreases the sugar crash that you might get from eating it alone.


Lamb & Apricot Curry {AIP, Paleo, Whole30}
Time:
Prep time - 30 minutes
Pressure cook - 25 minutes
Ready in 1 hour 20 minutes (including time to raise pressure & release the pressure)

Serves
: 6 -8 

Ingredients:
Sauce
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 small white onion (diced) 
- 5 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1 t dried turmeric 
- 1 t sea salt
- 3 T fresh ginger - chopped
- 2 small carrots - chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups broth
- 8 dried apricots - chopped
- Juice of 1 lime

Curry
1 T olive oil
- 2 pounds lamb 
- 1 small onion - diced
- 1 medium sweet potato - chopped into large pieces (no need to peel)
- 2 carrots - chopped into large pieces
- 8 dried apricots (quartered)
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach 

Method:
- to make the sauce - heat oil in a small saucepan. Saute the onions, then add ginger, garlic & spices. Allow spices to cook for a couple of minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Boil until carrots are tender (about 15 minutes). Blend well.
- While sauce is boiling, brown lamb pieces & onion in olive oil in your pressure cooker.
- Add sweet potatoes, apricots, spinach and sauce to the pressure cooker
- PRESSURE COOKER - following your pot's instructions, bring to pressure and cook for 25 minutes.
- STOVE TOP - once all ingredients are together, allow to simmer for about an hour until meat is tender and sweet potatoes are falling apart
- SLOW COOKER - after browning meat & making sauce, combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours

SERVING SUGGESTIONS: once cooked, serve with cauliflower or celeriac mash, cauliflower or plantain rice or with AIP Chapatis or Sweet Potato Paratha. Optional...top with shredded coconut, cilantro, raw onions, and/or raisins.





**This recipe was shared on the Phoenix Helix AIP Roundtable