Monday, December 14, 2015

Pineapple Ginger Slaw {AIP, Paleo, Vegan}

This recipe is especially for those of you in the southern hemisphere enjoying your summer and time outdoors! Actually, I guess a good slaw recipe is non-seasonal as there are always burger nights throughout the year and if you live in the freezing cold far north, maybe you can crank up the heat and put on some shorts and have an indoor picnic.

Seasons are a funny thing. For the last 11 years I've lived somewhere with basically 2 seasons.... there is beautiful & slightly chilly for 3-4 months and then hot for the rest of the year. As much as I miss the changing colors of the leaves or the spring rains or even waking up to frost on the ground, I love the fact that flip flops are appropriate 99% of the time and I can eat slaw and burgers whenever I want without people thinking I'm weird.

Seasonal decorations and such are also funny here in Dubai. All the mega stores have beach wear (too hot in the summer to swim), winter coats (70F feels cold here), patio furniture and Christmas decorations all on special at the same time. It's like we have to cram everything into the few months of beautiful weather.

Speaking of beautiful weather, I think I'm going to heat up my bowl of Smoky AIP Chili and go sit in the sun to enjoy the rest of my lunch break.

On to the recipe...

Pineapple Ginger Slaw
Time: 15 minutes (+30 minutes fridge time)
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
Slaw:
1 head green cabbage - shredded
1/2 head purple cabbage - shredded
3 medium carrots - shredded
1 bunch cilantro - chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped pineapple 
Dressing:
1 Avocado
1 bunch cilantro
1 inch ginger - chopped
1 T avocado oil 
3 T Apple cider vinegar 
1 t salt
1 c chopped pineapple

Method:
- chop all of the slaw ingredients and place in a large bowl
- place all dressing ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth
- pour dressing over slaw, toss to coat and let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before eating for flavors to mix.