Saturday, November 21, 2015

Sweet & Savory Cranberry Chutney {AIP, Paleo, Whole30, Vegan}

Today is the day that I'm having Thanksgiving. I'll be working on Thanksgiving day and the day after is a young adult's Thanksgiving pot-luck at church, so today it is. My mom and I have spent the morning prepping the turkey, toasting bread (there will be 2 stuffings... one for me and 2 paleo guests and one for the rest of the guests), chopping carrots and sweet potatoes, making pumpkin panna cotta, etc. My dad got in on the action and ironed the napkins for me. Now that the turkey is in the oven, we have a couple of hours to rest before all the last minute action needs to take place...so I thought I'd share this recipe with you. This is the cranberry 'sauce' that will be on my table this year. It's a little sweet and a little savory, and the addition of blueberries makes you wonder, 'what is that?'
My mom and I were talking this morning in the kitchen about how Thanksgiving really isn't that hard of a meal to prepare if you have a plan and a timeline. How do you figure out the timing for the day? I count backward from the time guests will arrive. The goal is to take the stuffing/ dressing/ other casseroles out of the oven as guests arrive. That means the turkey needs to come out in time for those to go in. Here's what we did... Yesterday we chopped & sauteed onions for the onion casserole and chopped & sauted the onions and celery for the stuffings and we made the cranberry chutney. This morning we prepped everything and made pumpkin panna cotta and mashed carrot/ sweet potatoes. And now we wait....or play on facebook...or answer emails... or write blog posts.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!


Sweet & Savory Cranberry Chutney
Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 6-8

Ingredients:
1 T coconut oil 
1 small onion- finely diced
1 1/2 cups cranberries - fresh or frozen 
1/2 cup blueberries (frozen is ok....or use blackberries or raspberries)
1/2 cup water
1 t cinnamon powder
1/8 t dried cloves 
Juice of 1 orange

Method:
- heat coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat
- add finely diced onion and sauté until translucent (but not brown)
- once onions are translucent, add all other ingredients. Bring to a low boil & simmer until cranberries burst & most of the liquid cooks out (about 30 minutes).