Monday, November 2, 2015

Spiced Apple Cider {AIP, Paleo}

Many of you saw this cooking on Instagram yesterday and begged for the recipe, so your wish is my command.

Honestly, I've only spent a couple of years somewhere where fall was anything like what you see in the movies, but for some reason when fall comes (even though it'll still hit 90F today), I wear boots and scarves and pull out the fake pumpkins and fake leaves and fake acorns and pretend that I live somewhere where the leaves are changing and I act like it's fall. If you do live in the States and want to know where the best fall foliage is, check out this link. I feel like I went on vacation just looking at these pics.So, in the spirit of the season I decided to make "Spiced Apple Cider."

Plus, there's a bonus recipe that I'll post soon so what to do with all the leftover apple pulp....2 recipes for the price/ time of one. SCORE! This apple cider is good cold, but is best served hot.

I'll admit that I was a little heavy handed with the spices, but I like heavily spiced things. If you prefer a milder, more subtle flavor use less spice (1/4 T cloves, 3/4 T cinnamon, 1/2 T ground ginger & 1 inch fresh ginger).



Spiced Apple Cider

Time: 2 hours
Serves: 10

Ingredients:
12 apples - any variety - I used granny smith, jazz & gala (they were the cheapest)
1/2 T ground cloves
1 T ground cinnamon
4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 T ground ginger
2 inches fresh ginger - cut into small pieces
2 oranges
6 dates

Method:
- chop apples into large chunks, removing the core. no need to peel
- quarter oranges and remove seeds
- chop ginger & pit the dates
- place all ingredients in a large stock pot and fill with water
- bring to a boil and let it simmer for 1 1/2 hours
- enjoy the aroma
- after 1 1/2 hours, the apples should be mush
- strain everything, reserving the juice and the pulp.... I used a colander to strain into one bowl and then a mesh strainer to strain a second time into another bowl. You'll want to use the back of a spoon to get as much of the juice as possible
- after the second straining, return to a pot and add 4 cups hot water to thin it out a bit. Serve hot, or allow to cool and store in the fridge for 4-5 days. Before drinking, you'll want to stir it as the mixture will have separated

- return the apple pulp to the pot...remove the orange pieces and cinnamon sticks.... save this for the next recipe!!!!


***This recipe was shared on the Phoenix Helix AIP Roundtable