Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Bacon Rosemary Salt {AIP, Paleo}


WARNING: This post talks a lot about the amazing food that we refer to as bacon.

Off the bat I must apologize to any of my readers who don't eat pork for religious reasons. I respect you for that decision and generally don't eat a lot of pork living in Dubai out of respect, but bacon is one of those foods that I just can't seem to get enough of.

If you are someone who avoids pork, I'm sure this could be made similarly with beef bacon (if you can get it to cook until the point of being crispy.)



The majority of the world seems to be bacon crazy. I dare you to do a google search for 'bacon flavored products' - some of the results are interesting, some bizarre and some downright insane. Some of the products I came across were ice cream, toothpaste, toothpicks, crackers, soda, envelope paste, dental floss (seriously what's up with wanting the taste of bacon between our teeth?), chips, chocolate, maple syrup (ok those last 3 all sound really good)....the list could go on and on.

Then, there are the products that look like bacon - socks, bandages, ties, belts, wallets, lunch boxes and more. Bacon lovers unite!

I may not be bacon crazy (or at least not as crazy as some), but I do enjoy the flavor of bacon. I would love to have a bit of bacon to add to most of my meals, but the thought of cleaning up a pan after cooking bacon makes me eat bacon a lot less that I would desire. Then, the other day through the wonders of pintrest I saw this idea for making bacon salt. I quickly discovered that this really is a thing and found several more variations of the recipe...more or less salt, more or less bacon, addition of pepper, etc.



I knew I wanted to make some bacon salt and knew I'd want to share it with you, but also knew that it (1) had to be AIP compliant - so no pepper, as so many recipes have... and (2) as much as I love bacon, I'd want a depth to the flavor so that it wasn't just bacon. I thought about the dried herb that I tend to use the most and thought...rosemary and bacon are a perfect compliment to each other. So, I grabbed the bacon and got to creating. So far I've discovered this salt it perfect on pumpkin soup (recipe coming soon), celeriac mash and baked salmon, and my roommate said it was great on her sweet potato at breakfast this morning. I'm thinking there's not much it wouldn't be a great flavor addition for. PLUS...this takes literally 5 minutes (after your bacon is cooked) and it makes a great gift. 

Bacon Rosemary Salt
Time: 5 minutes (+ bacon cooking time)
Serves: makes about 2/3 cup of salt

Ingredients:
6 slices of cooked bacon
1/2 cup of coarse grind sea salt
2 T dried rosemary

Method:
- if you don't have any cooked bacon, cook your bacon until crispy - bake on a wire rack at 200C/400F for about 20 minutes or cook on a griddle - allow bacon to sit on a paper towel to absorb as much oil as possible (use another paper towel to blot the oil- you want the bacon to be dry)
- place bacon, salt & rosemary in a mortar & pestle (well in the mortar - the bowl) and grind until the bacon is crushed up, salt is more finely ground and the flavors are well combined
- store in an air-tight container in the fridge for about a week
- if you can't use that much salt in a week, make 1/2 a recipe or gift some to a fellow bacon lover



*** This recipe was shared on Lou Lou Girl's Party