Thursday, September 17, 2015

Spiced Carrot Soup and Redeeming the Time {AIP, Paleo, Whole30}




I hate wasting time. It can be hard for me to just sit and relax. I'm a doer. I have a full schedule and I like it that way. Okay, I also enjoy a quiet chat over of a cup of tea or a long walk with a friend, but more often than not I'm doing 3 or 4 things at the same time. Efficient is my middle name. Not really.... but it feels that way some times.

But, as a doer I have a hard time with those 'wasted' moments. What do you do when you have 2 or 3 extra minutes? How do you make the most of the time you've been given? At the end of the day we all live an average of 27,375 days (or 75 years...according to google). That works out to being 39,420,000 minutes. How do you make sure you make the most of those minutes?


When I have a few spare moments, these are some of the things I do to make the most of them:
- - listen to podcasts or sermons while driving
- - read the Bible on my phone while waiting for an appointment
- - wash a few dishes while waiting for water to come to a boil
- - read in the bathtub
- - make a cup of tea while waiting to use the office photocopier
- - combine shopping trips and errands



All of those things help me to save a few minutes here and there, but is that really the time I need to be concerned about? I may have 39,420,000 minutes +/- on this planet, but according to James 4:14, I am "a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes." And Psalm 90:10 says, "The years of our life are seventy, or even by reason of strength eighty; yet their span is but toil and trouble; they are soon gone, and we fly away." My days and minutes are numbered. I don't know their number, but God does (Job 14:5 and Psalm 139:16). I tend to fret about the best use of a few moments here and there even though I know that by worrying I can't add a single hour to the span of my life (Matthew 6:27).

So, as helpful as it can be to make the most of the found moments through the day, the more important thing is to make the most of all of the time I've been given. The Bible teaches me that I'm here for a short time to bring God glory and to reflect Him (be His image bearer) to the world around me. Instead of redeeming those few moments here and there I need to consider how I can redeem all of the time I've been given and use it to make the most of God instead of making much of myself.

What does the Bible tell us about making the most of time?
  • Psalm 90:12 - "So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom."
  • Ephesians 5:15-16 - "Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil."
  • Colossians 4:5 - "Conduct yourselves with wisdom toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity."

As I think about wasting time, these are the thoughts I need to have in my mind more and more, instead of thoughts of how to 'get it all done.' 

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm sure you're wondering what all of this has to do with carrot soup. I mean carrot soup is carrots and water, so why the lecture on time?

Well, the other day I was at a friend's place and he was talking about what he was doing the night before and he said, 'we were standing in the kitchen and before I knew what I was doing I was chopping carrots and making carrot soup.' It amused me to think of someone using a few spare minutes to make carrot soup. But, the reality is that if you have a few minutes to chop some carrots this soup practically makes itself. And, if you make a big batch of it, you have soup for days and that will free up many of your minutes to be put to better use later on in the week.




So, get to chopping and let's make soup!



Spiced Carrot Soup

Serves: 4
Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

1 T olive oil
4 cloves garlic
1 medium white or brown onion - rough chopped
1 inch ginger - chopped finely
1 apple (golden delicious, jazz or gala all work well) - rough chopped, with peel left on
5-6 medium carrots - chopped into 1/4 inch slices
2 cups broth or water
1 t salt
1 t mixed herbs - dried 
1 t turmeric powder
1/2 t cinnamon 
Handful of cilantro (leaved and stalks)
1 T gelatin
1 lemon


Method
:

- chop onion and garlic
- heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add onion and garlic
- let them saute a minute or two and add ginger while you chop the apple
- add the chopped apple, salt, dried herbs, turmeric & cinnamon
- let the apple soften for a couple of minutes
- add broth or water (broth is obviously better for you, but let's be honest, we run out of broth sometimes)
- peel and chop carrots and add them to the pot
- add the stalks of the cilantro and make sure there is enough water to cover the vegetables
- bring to a boil and simmer until carrots are soft (20-25 minutes)
- add gelatin and stir well and then blend til smooth using an immersion blender
- remove from heat and squeeze juice of one lemon and stir in before serving







** This recipe was shared on Phoenix Helix AIP Roundtable