Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Pineapple Bacon Jam {AIP, Paleo}



What are your favorite burger toppings? I've always enjoyed onions (fresh or grilled), avocado, bacon...and back in the day cheese and ketchup. Recently I've come to enjoy pineapple, especially grilled pineapple. Even better if combined with avocado and bacon. YUM! So, the other day I was making burgers and thinking of toppings and I remembered something I had seen about 'bacon jam' and that took me down a rabbit hole of thought.


Somehow I missed the 'bacon jam' craze. Maybe I wasn't 

paying attention, or maybe it's because I live in the middle east and don't buy a lot of pork, but for some reason I missed the craze. But, one day not too long ago I saw a recipe for bacon jam on a paleo blog and thought it sounded interesting. A few weeks passed and I hadn't done anything about it, then came the aforementioned day of contemplating burger toppings. I was in the store and picked up bacon, avocado, onion and pineapple, thinking these would all be separate burger toppings. Little did I know then the way my brain would work when I got home. And, by the time the burgers were ready I had this tasty topping to enjoy with them.

Presenting.... Pineapple Bacon Jam....



Pineapple Bacon Jam
Time: 35-40 minutes
Serves: 8

Ingredients:
3 slices bacon - cooked
1 yellow onion - diced
1/2 T olive oil (or bacon grease)
1/2 T garlic flakes
1/2 inch ginger -grated
2 cups chopped pineapple 
1 t sea salt
1/3 cup bone broth
1/4 cup water
2 dates
1/2 T maple syrup 

Method:
- cook bacon however you normally cook bacon
- saute the onion in the olive oil or bacon fat
- when translucent, add the remaining ingredients
- bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes allowing most of the water & broth to cook out
- blend with an immersion blender - leaving a few chunks
- serve as a topping on burgers, spread a layer on salmon before baking, or just enjoy a spoonful or two.

layer of bacon jam on a piece of salmon, baked for 20 minutes @ 350
and then broiled for 3 minutes to get the top all crispy