Thursday, August 20, 2015

Roasted Cherry Ice Cream (no churn)



A couple weeks ago I was walking through the supermarket and saw these beautiful cherries. I've never really been one to buy cherries, but they looked soooo good. They were crazy expensive, but they were calling out, buy me, buy me, buy me!  I had to no idea what I was going to do with them, but I knew I had to buy them. On the way home I was thinking about how hot it was and how much I would love a bowl of ice cream. That's when it struck me...cherry ice cream!



So, what are the benefits of eating cherries? When you run a search for health benefits of cherries, the list of benefits seems never ending. Cherries appear to be a superfood.
Here are some of the benefits that I found especially interesting:


(1) low glycemic index
(2) good source of melatonin, so they help you sleep and recover from jet lag
(3) considered to be a memory boosting food
(4) highest antioxidant level of any fruit, so they're anti aging and good for the skin
(5) they can reduce inflammation and reduce pain in swollen joints

After getting the ice cream in the freezer I found out that some friends were coming over for dinner and knew this would be the perfect end to our meal. We enjoyed one of my favorite dinners (Cottage Pie) and then this ice cream for dessert. Weeks later and my friends are still talking about both the cottage pie and the ice cream. I'd call that a successful night with friends. 



**A note about "AIP Treats": While it is true that this ice cream and other treats on this blog are made with AIP friendly ingredients, it should be noted that the AIP diet is primarily about nutrient density and healing and with that in mind treats should be reserved for special occasions. This are occasional foods, not everyday food. Treat often are higher in sugar content (even fruit) and as sugar causes inflammation for many of us following AIP, we need to make treats an occasional part of our lives.

Roasted Cherry Ice Cream
Serves: 6
Time: 45 minutes  and 4+ hours freezing time

Ingredients:
2 cups pitted cherries
1 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 T olive oil
1/4 t sea salt 
4 T maple (1T + 3T)
2 cans coconut milk

Method:
- place coconut milk in ice cube trays and freeze (about 4 hours - or over night)
-preheat oven to 350F/180C
- place pitted cherries, 1 T balsamic vinegar, 1/2 T olive oil, 1/4 t sea salt & 1 T maple syrup in a baking dish. Stir to coat the cherries.
- roast for 25 minutes
- allow cherries to cool (place them in a bowl and place the bowl in an ice bath, or place in fridge if you're waiting for coconut milk to freeze)
- once cherries are cool and coconut milk cubes are frozen, place the cherry mixture, coconut milk cubes and 3 T maple syrup in a food processor and process until you reach a soft serve consistency
- pour into a freezer safe shallow container and place in freezer
- take out and stir with a fork every 30 minutes until desired consistency is achieved. Ice cream that is hard enough to scoop should be ready in 2 hours.



**This can probably be made in an ice cream maker with chilled coconut milk and cherry mixture, but my machine isn't great and this method works fine for me.




*** This recipe was shared on Phoenix Helix AIP Round UP