Thursday, August 13, 2015

Fried Pickles + How to Make 'Refrigerator Pickles'



In honor of 500+ likes on facebook and more than 50,000 visits to the blog I'm sharing a special treat with you. I'm already thinking of what I'll have in store for you when we reach the next milestone. :)When I was in college there was a Cajun restaurant that my friends and I would go to on special occasions. I probably went 4 or 5 times and honestly can't remember anything about the menu except for the fried pickles. I'm sure I ate blackened something and I'm sure it was good, but honestly I went for the pickles.

So, as I was preparing for summer burger nights with friends I thought that fired pickles needed to find their way onto my plate. And boy am I glad that I did.

The first trick to making fried pickles is to find AIP compliant pickles as most have seed based spices. If you have access to some that are compliant, then just scroll down to the bottom for the frying part of the recipe...but if not we'll get started with a basic refrigerator pickle recipe. Some of you may have successfully figured out fermented pickles, but I've tried and failed several times and am blaming it on the heat and humidity in my apartment. So, I use a basic refrigerator method for my pickles.

 Start by gathering all your ingredients. If you have access to pickling cucumbers I'm sure they'd be even better, but all I can get my hands on are normal cucumbers...the kind you cut up and eat in your salad.

I add onions and garlic to my pickles because I like the flavor bite that both give. Plus, I add a ton of fresh dill, because well...I like dill pickles.

These pickles will be ready to eat in 24 hours, are best after 48 hours and will last in your fridge for about a week. If you don't have pickling cucumbers they won't be crispy like store bought pickles, but they still have a bite to them and are good eaten straight out of the jar and even better fried.
Garlic pickles
Time: 5 minutes + 24-48 hours
Serves: 4-6
Materials needed: a clean glass jar with tight fitting lid.

Ingredients:
- 2-3 cucumbers
- 1/2 small white onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 T salt
- 1/2 cup fresh dill (or more if you like)
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water

Method:
- slice cucumbers - about 1/4 inch thick (or a little less)
- slice onions
- rough chop garlic
- layer ingredients in the jar - cucumbers, onion, garlic, salt, dill, cucumber, onion, garlic, salt, dill
- pour in the apple cider vinegar
- add enough filtered water to cover the cucumbers
- close the lid and place in the fridge
- let sit in the fridge for 24-48 hours



To make Fried Pickles:
Ingredients:
- 3 T cassava flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t dried herbs (oregano & rosemary are good)
- avocado or olive oil
- pickles

Method:
- mix together 3 T cassava flour, 1/2 t salt, 1 t mixed dried herbs (oregano & rosemary are good)
- heat enough olive or avocado oil to cover the bottom of a skillet over medium heat
- dredge pickles in the cassava flour mixture coating both sides
- fry 2 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy
- drain on paper towel 
- sprinkle with salt before serving

**These are good as they are, but if you like a dipping sauce for your fried pickles, try the "Spinach Avocado Pesto" 


** This recipe was shared on Phoenix Helix AIP Roundup & Real Food Fat Tuesday