Monday, August 24, 2015

Blueberry BBQ Sauce {AIP, Paleo}



I spent several years of my life in TX and pretty much lived on BBQ. It seemed every seminary or church dinner was BBQ. My favorite (and I know this is dangerous if I have any Texan readers out there) is Risky's BBQ in Fort Worth. A couple of members of the Risky family went to my church in TX, so maybe the fact that as a poor seminary student I got to eat a lot of it for free helped to make it my favorite, but I whatever the reason, their BBQ sauce on tender smoked meat... YUM!

The other day I was making some mini meatloaves in a muffin tin and I wanted a sauce to top them with. I kept thinking BBQ sauce but every time I opened the fridge for ingredients this giant tub of blueberries kept staring at me. 

So, I tossed some in a pan and kept adding ingredients and low and behold out came a BBQ sauce. 

I've enjoyed this sauce on meatloaves, burgers, salmon and even stirred into an otherwise bland cabbage stir fry. 

I also thinned some out with lemon juice and olive oil and made a salad dressing. Once you make it, be sure to let me know how you use it. Seems there are LOTS and LOTS of options!

It seems to keep well in the fridge (at least 10 days) and it's so nice to have a condiment in a jar I can pull out and enjoy.


Blueberry BBQ Sauce
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: about 2 cup

Ingredients:
2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 T apple cider vinegar 
6 dates
2 T dried sage
4 cloves garlic
2 T grated fresh ginger
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon

Method:
- place all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil
- simmer for 25-30 minutes
- blend with an immersion blender (or carefully transfer to a blender)


*** This recipe was shared on Phoenix Helix AIP Round UP