Thursday, August 6, 2015

Blueberry Bacon Breakfast Burgers {AIP, Paleo, Whole 30}




One of the questions that I get asked all the time, or that I see asked a lot is...what do you eat for breakfast if you can't have toast and eggs? The funny thing is that I've never really been a fan of breakfast foods and always preferred it when I was allowed to have leftovers for breakfast. Cold spaghetti was my favorite; but I guess that's off the AIP menu too.

That means that most of the time I just eat whatever I had for dinner the night before. I've even gotten my roommate onboard with breakfast salads and she's on her way to breakfast soups. But, there are some mornings when you want you plate to look more breakfasty (is that a word), and on those mornings, something resembling a sausage patty is always a good idea.
I decided instead of calling these sausage patties to call them 'breakfast burgers' because...well let's be honest the alliteration of all of the "Bs" was too much to resist, plus, I have a love for all things burger, which you might remember reading about in the post on "Lamb Spinach Burgers."


The bacon and the blueberries keep these burgers from drying out and as the sugars are released from the blueberries onto the pan, they caramelize the burgers, which always adds to the flavor. 

Blueberry Bacon Breakfast Burgers

Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4-6 (makes 12 burgers)

Ingredients:
1 pound beef
1 small to medium onion
2 cloves garlic
3 T parsley
1 T dried rosemary
1 T maple
4 slices bacon 
1/2 cup + blueberries

Method:
- place meat of choice in a large mixing bowl
- rough chop onion
- add onion, garlic, parsley, rosemary, bacon slices, maple & salt into the bowl of a food processor and process until onion, garlic & bacon are chopped. Add blueberries and pulse a couple of times.
- preheat skillet or grill pan (medium heat) & lightly oil the pan.
- add spice mixture to the meat and work it through the meat
- form into 12 patties
- grill (on a grill pan on medium heat) for 4 minutes each side.

(optional: these can also be baked at 350F/ 180C  for 18 minutes and then pan fried for a couple of minutes just to brown them.)






** This recipe was shared on the Phoenix Helix AIP Roundtable & Real Food Fat Tuesday