Friday, August 28, 2015

Banana Bacon Muffins {AIP, Paleo}


Today is my mom's birthday. Happy Birthday!!!

Keep reading for a story about a birthday cake I made for her about 30 years ago. :)

There's something about baking that I've always enjoyed. As a kid I would spend hours in the kitchen with an open cookbook and flour and powdered sugar all over the place. Cake decorating was my favorite kitchen task and I would work on those little flowers for hours.

Thinking about baking as a kid reminds me of the first cake I baked all by myself. It was my mom's birthday and I hadn't heard anyone mention anything about a party or a special dinner or even a cake. So, I asked if I could bake her a cake and asked if I could do it all by myself. 

I must have run up and down the hall asking her questions a hundred times as I went through the cake process. What came out was a cake that was well baked, but needed some decoration. I knew that my neighbor was good at such things, so I went to see if she could help me. Imagine my surprise to discover a family friend who lived a few hours away was visiting and she was even better at cake decorating. 

Aunt Eva quickly put me through my first 'cake decorating' lesson. We mixed the icing to just the right consistency, added a few drops of yellow food coloring to most of it and she taught me how to smooth it onto the cake. Then came the fun part - learning to write and make cute little flowers. I was so proud of that cake.



A couple hours later and the visit from out of town guests made perfect sense. My dad had arranged a surprise party for my mom and Aunt Eva had brought the cake, so we ended up with 2 cakes (That's me, my mom & Aunt Eva in the picture - Aunt Eva and I each behind our cakes).

The ironic thing is that although I've enjoyed baking for most of my life, I've never really enjoyed eating baked goods - that is until discovering AIP baked goods. Maybe my body has been trying to tell me something all along. Hmmm.  

These muffins came out of a similar desire as that first cake. It was a friend's birthday party and she and her husband both eat paleo-ish so I wanted something paleo for them (and me) and wanted something to prove to the other guests that desserts could taste good and be better for you than the flour and sugar filled options.

**A note about "AIP Treats": While it is true that these muffins and other treats on this blog are made with AIP friendly ingredients, it should be noted that the AIP diet is primarily about nutrient density and healing and with that in mind treats should be reserved for special occasions. This are occasional foods, not everyday food. Treat often are higher in sugar content (even fruit) and as sugar causes inflammation for many of us following AIP, we need to make treats only an occasional part of our lives.

Banana Bacon Muffins

Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 12 muffins

Ingredients:

3 ripe bananas
2 T coconut oil
2 T maple syrup
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup + 1 T cassava flour
1 t sea salt
1 t baking soda
1 T gelatin
3 slices of cooked bacon + 2t bacon fat

Method:

- PREHEAT Oven to 350F/180C
(1) Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl - cassava flour, salt, baking soda & gelatin
(2) Mix all wet ingredients in separate bowl - bananas (mash well), coconut oil, maple syrup, water
(3) mix dry into wet until combined (don't over mix)
(4) crumble bacon and stir in along with reserved bacon fat
(5) grease muffin tin with coconut oil - do not use muffin liners
(6) using a measuring cup, pour 1/4 cup of mixture into each muffin cup
(7) bake at 350F/180C for 20-25 minutes - until a toothpick comes out clean
(8) allow to cool in pan until muffins come away from the sides of the pan
(9) cool completely on a wire rack and enjoy

*** Don't expect these to have a 'cake'-like texture. The gelatin makes them more dense. They will still be enjoyed by AIP eaters and non-AIP eaters alike.

 

**This recipe was shared on Phoenix Helix AIP Roundtable