Monday, August 10, 2015

AIP Cassava Pancakes



For 10 years of my life, every Monday morning was pancakes. The weird thing was that I HATED pancakes. I learned to be able to gag them down if I covered them with enough peanut butter, but the idea of sitting and eating a stack of pancakes drizzled with syrup just didn't appeal to me. 5 of those 10 'monday-morning-pancake' years were spent at a boarding school,
and can I just say that if you don't like pancakes, you really won't like the smell of pancakes being cooked for 500 students.

Fast forward 20+ years and I didn't discover that I actually like pancakes until I went paleo. The banana/ egg pancake that was all the rage in the paleo world a couple years ago made me realize I do enjoy these sweet treats in the morning. Plus, buying real maple syrup really made all the difference in the world. 


Then came AIP and the banana/ egg pancake was no longer a thing, so I knew I had to create an AIP pancake. Cassava flour to the rescue. (It really is a miracle food)!

Last Saturday morning, my roommate was heading to work and I thought it would be a good idea to send her off with a filling breakfast and for some reason pancakes kept popping into my head, which is really weird because I've never really liked pancakes.

So, I pulled out the cassava flour and started throwing other things into the bowl hoping for pancakes and what came out were fully AIP compliant pancakes with crispy edges, that honestly I prefer over any pancake I've ever had. My roommate even commented that she thought they'd be good without any toppings and were more versatile than 'normal' pancakes. Plus, cassava is really filling, so these kept me going until 2 pm. Yeah!




**A note about "AIP Treats": While it is true that these pancakes and other treats on this blog are made with AIP friendly ingredients, it should be noted that the AIP diet is primarily about nutrient density and healing and with that in mind treats should be reserved for special occasions. This are occasional foods, not everyday food. Treat often are higher in sugar content (even fruit) and as sugar causes inflammation for many of us following AIP, we need to make treats an occasional part of our lives.



AIP Cassava Flour Pancakes

Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 3-4 (makes about 9 pancakes)

Ingredients:
1 cup cassava flour
1 T gelatin
1 t baking soda
1/4 t sea salt
1 cup coconut milk
1 T maple syrup
1/2 t apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 T coconut oil (melted)
1 1/2 - 2 T water
- topping - 1 cup frozen berries, 1 T maple syrup 1/2 cup water
+ coconut oil for frying

Method:
- mix dry ingredients- flour, soda, salt, gelatin
- mix wet ingredients - coconut milk, syrup, vinegar, coconut oil & water
- heat a skillet or griddle over a medium heat and add a small amount of coconut oil (about 1/2 t)
- mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until batter is smooth
- using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pour less than 1/4 cup of batter into the pan and swirl around a bit
- cook over medium heat until edges brown and the middle is very bubbly (should look like a 'normal' pancake at this point). Leave it on that side 30 seconds longer than you would normally. The first side takes about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes.
- very carefully lift around the edges with a spatula until you can get under the whole pancake and flip
- cook other side for less time (1 - 1 1/2 minutes) until bottom is browned (you can lift the edges to check).
- transfer to a plate and repeat...scraping excess batter off and adding oil for each pancake
topping - place ingredients in a saucepan and let simmer until thickened.


**TIPS**
- patience is key - wait to flip longer than you think you should so that the whole pancake is set
- stoves and pans will vary, so you may need to adjust heat. It should be about medium, but they will burn before cooked if too hot and will just bubble in the oil if too low
- don't worry if the first one doesn't turn out...as with any new process there is a learning curve. My first one was a mess, but served as cooking snacks while I made the rest.