Sunday, July 12, 2015

Simple Snack: Toasted Coconut Butter

Coconut butter is one of those treats that just feels special. When I buy a big jar of it, I imagine someone climbing the coconut tree, cutting down the coconut, cracking it open, scraping out the flesh and then doing something magical to turn it into the perfection that is coconut butter. Needless to say I was shocked to discover how easy it is to make. I almost feel like a cheater calling this a recipe.

When I first started on AIP, I made this magic happen in my kitchen all the time and then two horrible things happened... (1) I discovered I got a headache if I ate too much coconut and (2) I made a silly mistake and refrigerated the half made coconut butter in the food processor and then just took it out and turned it on...the blade shattered into many many pieces.

Last week I bought a new food processor and decided it was time to try the coconut butter again. And, also thought it was time to share this simple but magical treat with all of you. 

My favorite way to eat coconut butter is softened a bit and stuffed in a date. My roommate announced that this was magic in her mouth. It's also good spread on apples, pears or bananas. And I'd be lying if I didn't admit that more often than not its just eaten by the spoonful. 

Coconut Butter & sliced pears make a perfect afternoon snack

Toasted Coconut Butter  

Serves: makes about a cup
Time: depends on the strength of your processor. I do it start to finish in about 20 minutes. 

Ingredients:
- +/- 3 cups grated, unsweetened dried coconut flakes

Method:
- preheat oven to 400F/ 200C 
- place 1/2 of the coconut in a baking dish and put in the oven until it toasts to a golden brown. Watch it carefully. One minute it's perfect and the next minute burnt. Should take about 6-8 minutes, stirring once.
- while coconut toasts, put the rest of the coconut in the bowl of your food processor. (I use a 500 watt food processor that holds about 3 cups). 
- process until it starts to release its oils and then turns liquid. First it will look like its being more finely ground, then it'll start to clump a bit and look like wet sand, finally it'll release oils and turn into a liquid. 
- when the toasted coconut is ready, add it to the processor (wherever you are in the process) 
- continue until it's all liquid
- pour into a jar for storage
- can be stored at room temperature and will harden - you can melt it make it spreadable by putting the jar into a bowl of hot water or microwaving it for a few seconds




** This recipe was shared on LouLouGirls Linky Party