Sunday, July 26, 2015

Irish Lamb Stew {AIP, Paleo}






Years ago, a friend and I traveled to Ireland for a few days. We ate at lots of small pubs as we walked the streets of Dublin and explored the small towns in the countryside, and everywhere we went I tried the Irish stew. What can I say, I like lamb, potatoes and vegetables.


More recently, I went with a friend to an Irish pub here in the UAE and decided to risk the stew, even knowing it was full of nightshades (potatoes). Some days I'm ok with them and other days not so much. Thankfully that day I was ok as their stew was more like watery mashed potatoes with a couple of piece of cabbage, carrot and lamb.


Last night, I was wandering the aisles of the grocery store wondering what to make for dinner. In the back of my head I knew I had cabbage, carrots and plantains at home, but couldn't make those three fit together in my head. Then I saw the lamb meat and suddenly all I could think of was Irish stew.



This dish comes together quickly, is filling and comforting and good for packing leftovers. What more could you want from a weeknight dinner. It does need a little simmering time, but by the time I got everything in the pot, I just had time to throw a load of laundry in the washer and put away the clean dishes before it was ready to eat.


Irish Lamb Stew

Serves: 4
Time: 20 minutes + 45 minutes simmer time = ready in about an hour



Ingredients
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1 pound boneless lamb leg cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- large white onion 
- 1 T garlic flakes
- 1 T Rosemary 
- 1/2 t cinnamon 
- 1/2 T turmeric 
- 1 t sea salt
- 1 cup bone broth
- small head cabbage (3-4 cups chopped)
- 3 green plantains
- 3 carrots 

Method:
- heat 1 T coconut oil in a heavy bottomed stock pan
- add lamb meat to hot pan and allow it to brown for a couple of minutes
- roughly chop the onion and add it to the pan
- add salt, garlic, rosemary, cinnamon & turmeric and stir - cook until lamb is browned on all sides
- roughly chop a small head of cabbage and add to pan - stir and allow cabbage to brown for 2-3 minutes
- add bone broth and enough water to cover lamb & cabbage and simmer for 20 minutes
- peel and chop 3 green plantains
***Plantain Tip - slice the plantains while still in peels, cut each slice in half and then work the peel off (occasionally you'll need to use a knife to cut the peel off)
- peel carrots and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- add plantains & carrots to the pot, add water to cover the veggies and simmer for 25 minutes.  Plantains will breakdown some and thicken the soup and carrots should be soft
- salt to season




** Random stew/soup tip: Occasionally when I don't have broth or when my broth isn't very gelatinous I'll sprinkle in 1T of gelatin near the end of cooking. It gels up in the fridge overnight and liquifies again when you reheat and I figure any excuse to add some gelatin to my meals is a good idea.