Sunday, July 5, 2015

Lamb, Bacon & Spinach Burgers {AIP, Paleo}


Have I told you about my burger obsession? If nothing stood in my way I could eat a burger every meal and on the odd occasion that I do go out and get to choose the place, I'll choose a burger joint 90% of the time. There's just something comforting about a good burger. Plus, the cool thing about burgers is that there are likely enough ingredient combinations to actually have a burger every meal. Years ago I even came across a blog dedicated to making burgers based on the flavors of every country in the world. Those were some cool and creative burgers.



So, given my love for burgers, I was shocked to realize that I didn't have a single burger recipe on the blog and knew that had to be corrected. Now, you might be thinking that a lamb burger seems unpredictable for a first burger recipe. And, while it's unconventional I have a good reason. And, it's more than just that I like lamb. 

One of the greatest challenges I have living in Dubai is sourcing affordable and good quality foods. I know that's a universal challenge, but when you live in a country where 90% of the food consumed is imported, it becomes an even bigger challenge. (total guess on the stats, but it seems that way when you look around the store). If you live in Dubai (or UAE) and are curious about where I shop, here's a post all about AIP shopping in Dubai.

There is one store (Spinney's) where I can consistently get affordable grassfed beef or lamb and I try to do as much of my meat shopping there. But, sometimes I'm in a hurry or I'm at a store that's better for other things and don't have time for both, so I have to buy meat at the other stores. Thankfully, almost every store here carries lamb from New Zealand and from what I've read online, even if the package doesn't say it NZ land is almost all exclusively grassfed and hormone/antibiotic free. So, if I'm in a hurry, which I often am, lamb ends up on the menu more than most other meats.


Lamb, Bacon & Spinach Burgers

Serves: 4
Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 T dried garlic flakes
- 7 green onions - greens only
- 3 T chopped mint
- 1 t pink Himalayan salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- 3 slices of uncooked bacon - chopped


- Olive oil to oil the grill pan
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS - lettuce, avocado, pan fried onions, crispy sweet potatoes, etc.


Method:
- combine all ingredients except oil in a bowl until well mixed
- heat grill pan (or skillet) over medium heat and lightly grease with some olive oil
- form meat mixture into 4 large or 8 slider sized patties
- cook full sized burgers about 5-6 minutes on each side (or until they've reached your desired doneness)....slider size patties will take a little less time.
- top with your choice of toppings... my favorites are onions pan fried in coconut oil, mashed avocado and crispy sweet potatoes (spiral cut or julienne a sweet potato, toss in a bit of olive oil and sea salt and bake in a single layer at 400F/200C for +/- 15 minutes - until they are browned - watch them carefully and flip once during cooking as they go from perfect to burnt in a matter of seconds)