I recently bought a jar of crab meat to use for 'He Won't Know It's Paleo's" Crab Bisque. But, I forgot to buy coconut milk so the crab became two dishes...these crab cakes and crab stuffed salmon (recipe coming to the blog soon).
(Dubai readers - if you're wondering where to get affordable crab meat... Spinneys has 8 oz plastic jars of crab meat in the refrigerated fish case that isn't too expensive.)
If you're looking for ways to get more seafood into your diet, then these are a quick and easy way to do just that.
Why should you eat more seafood... crab in particular? It's a great source of protein. It's full of omega 3 fat. It has lots of Selenium which plays an important role in the function of the immune system and thyroid hormone metabolism. It contains riboflavin which helps you absorb iron. Plus it contains magnesium, folate, zinc & copper.
Pair all that goodness with sweet potatoes and what more could you wish for. Enjoy 2-3 of them on a bed of greens and you've got a satisfying and nutritious lunch.
Sweet Potato Crab Cakes
Time: 20 minutes
(plus sweet potato cooking time)
- 6 oz cooked crab meat
(canned works well)
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato (1 medium)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/4 cup cassava flour
- 1-2 T avocado oil
- cook sweet potato - the easiest way is to pierce the skin, wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 6-8 minutes
- once sweet potato is cooled, combine all ingredients
- heat oil in a skillet over low to medium heat
- form into 4-5 patties and cook for about 4 minutes on each side until they brown
- be careful while flipping as the patties are soft