Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Grilled Shrimp & Pineapple Salad

I've been told that one of my first sentences was to order 'himp and hench hies' (better known as shrimp and french fries). And, for the last 39 years shrimp has been one of my favorite things to order. If I'm being completely honest I'll also admit that french fries are still a favorite of mine. Can I say how thankful I am for sweet potatoes??

So, the other day when I walked through the fish market and saw beautiful large shrimp on sale I knew they must be eaten. I also thought they would be the perfect thing to put on my grill pan. I'm jealous of all of the people for whom this is grilling (and being outside) season as it's just too hot here to do that. So, grilled shrimp it would be.

Once I had decided on grilling the shrimp, I couldn't stop thinking about the addition of grilled pineapple. If you've never had grilled pineapple then buy pineapple and grill it today. I promise you won't regret it. The first time I had grilled pineapple was at a Brazilian steakhouse and as much as I loved all the meat, the grilled pineapple served hot with a bit of vanilla ice cream (pre dairy free days) was the highlight of the meal.


Grilled Shrimp & Pineapple Salad

Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 3-4

Ingredients:
(marinade)
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 limes juiced
- 1/4 cup parsley - finely chopped
- 1/2 T ground ginger
- 1/2 t sea salt

- 4 Pineapple slices 3/4 inch thick (b/c of cooking you don't need to remove core as it will soften)
- 1 pound shrimp -peeled & tails left on
- 20-25 mint leaves - shredded
- 4 cucumbers - cut into bite sized pieces

Method:
- make marinade - mix oil, lime juice, parsley, ginger & salt
- brush the marinade on the pineapple slices and set aside
- place remaining marinade in plastic bag and add shrimp. Allow to marinade for 20 minutes
- heat grill or grill pan to a medium heat, you don't want the pan to be too hot
- place pineapple on the grill. Allow to cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until softened and grill marks appear
- place shrimp on grill and cook for a total of 5 minutes (turning once). 
SHRIMP TIP- You can tell your shrimp is cooked when it curls into a C shape and is no longer translucent or soft to the touch.
- if using a grill (not grill pan), you may need to skewer the shrimp to prevent then falling through the grill
- once pineapple and shrimp are cooked remove them to a plate for the pineapple to cool a bit
- chop cucumber & mint
- when pineapple cools to touch, chop into bite sized pieces and toss with cucumber & mint
- top with grilled shrimp and enjoy 



*** This recipe was shared on "Phoenix Helix AIP Round Up" & LouLouGirls Linky Party