Thursday, June 25, 2015

AIP Thai Green Curry with Seafood



Living in Dubai, I'm surrounded by the best foods from around the world. The foodcourt I go to most often has about 20 restaurants ranging from American fast food to Thai to Japanese to Chinese to Indian and more. The choices are almost overwhelming. 

For many years (pre-AIP) I would rotate between Indian, Japanese and Thai...always with rice and spice. 

My all time favorite was Green Curry from the Thai place. I loved the depth of flavor of garlic and ginger and lemongrass mixed with the kick of the green chillies. I enjoyed Thai food so much that I soon learned to make it myself...although I'll admit that I took the easy way out and used the jar of green curry paste.


In fact, my last pre-AIP meal was Thai Green Curry, and out of fear I haven't attempted it since. The store bought curry paste was simmered with coconut milk and tons of veggies (eggplant, green peppers, potato, tomato & carrot) and lots of green chillies and seed based spices. All served over rice. It was the least AIP compliant meal possible. Did you notice the list of nightshades?

So, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that within minutes inflammation had set in throughout my body. After dinner I went for a walk to stretch my back as it was starting to get tense. By the end of my block my knee started hurting, then my hip, then my ankle, then my other knee and before long even my knuckles hurt. Earlier in the day I had been perusing the Paleo Mom site and had done some reading on AIP and nightshades (read that post here) in particular and suddenly every I had read that morning made sense. The pain I was in that night was the final straw. I went home, took my anti-inflammatory and decided that the next day would be the first day of my AIP journey.

Over the last few months I've been wondering if an AIP Green Curry might be possible. I knew the chillies were out, but thought that upping the ginger would give it a little kick. I gathered up the ingredients - garlic, ginger, lemongrass, cilantro, coconut milk - and within an hour I was eating curry again!!! YEAH!!

If you're looking for more AIP friendly curry recipes, or just want to learn more about using spices in AIP cooking, I highly recommend this ebook by Jo Romero.









Seafood Thai Green Curry


Serves: 4 
Time: 1 hour 

Ingredients:

1-2 T olive oil  
1 med white onion
5 large garlic cloves
2 -3 inch piece of ginger
1 stalk of lemongrass 
1 1/2 water
2 dates
1/2 T fish sauce
1/2 T coconut aminos
1 t sea salt
Juice of 2 limes
2 cups loosely packed cilantro/ corriander leaves
4 kaffir lime (or lemon) leaves
1 1/2 cups chopped white mushrooms
1 cup carrots - chopped to bite size
2 cups starchy veggies - butternut & sweet potato
1 can coconut milk (additive free)
1 cup chopped baby asparagus 
1/2 pound white fish & 1 cup mussels (not in shell) 


Method:
- heat 1-2 T of oil (coconut or olive) in a large stock pot over medium heat - should be enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- roughly chop onion, garlic ginger & lemongrass and add them to the oil
** Tip for ginger - you can use the back of a spoon to peel the ginger
- cook aromatic veggies over low to medium heat for 5-8 minutes until they are softened and onions are just starting to brown a bit
- add 1 1/2 cups water and 2 chopped dates and simmer for 10-12 minutes
- while sauce is simmering, chop all of your vegetables - mushrooms, carrots, butternut, sweet potato & asparagus and place to the side
- add fish sauce, coconut aminos, lime juice, cilantro and salt
- blend with an immersion blender (or transfer to a blender) and blend until smooth
- add kaffir lime (or lemon) leaves, coconut milk and chopped vegetables (except asparagus)
- simmer for about 20 minutes until vegetables are tender
- add asparagus and seafood (white fish chopped into bite sized pieces) and mussels
- cook for 6 more minutes until fish is flaky and mussels are cooked through
- Enjoy as is (almost like a soup/ stew) or eat over cauliflower fried rice

*** Other vegetables - such as broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, cabbage can all be added.
*** Other seafood is also a welcome addition. I particularly like shrimp in the curry sauce.


***This recipe was shared on "Allergy Free Wednesday" & "Phoenix Helix AIP Round Up"