Monday, May 18, 2015

Learning to Eat Offal: Lamb & Liver Meatballs

If someone had told me a month ago that I'd be eating liver almost daily, I would have laughed at them. But, I'm now on to my third (and favorite) liver recipe and I love having these on top of spaghetti squash for dinner or for breakfast by adding them to a salad. They give me the energy that I need to make it through the day without the dreaded morning slump. My favorite breakfast salad is spinach, sweet potatoes, avocado, berries, meatballs and pesto. YUMM!









Lamb & Liver Meatballs

Serves: 5
Time: 45 minutes 

Ingredients:
- 500 grams (1/2 pound) ground lamb
- 250 grams (1/4 pound) lamb liver
- 1 t sea salt
- 1 t ground cinnamon 
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen spinach (squeeze out excess liquid)
- 1 cup bone broth 

Method:
- Preheat oven to 220C / 425F
- finely chop liver into tiny pieces
(I prefer to do this by freezing and chopping while frozen)
- mix all ingredients in a medium bowl
- form into 1 1/2 inch meatballs and place in a shallow baking dish
- pour 1 cup of bone broth over the meatballs and bake for 25 minutes

Mint & Cilantro Pesto 
Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil

Method:
- combine all ingredients in a blender and pulse until combined
- drizzle over meatballs and serve