Friday, May 22, 2015

Airplane Travel and the AIP




Tomorrow night I have a 15 hour flight (+ a layover + a 90 minute flight + a layover + a 2 hour flight). Needless to say, this is taking some considerable planning on my part. I love traveling and have been doing it most of my life, but thinking about a long flight on AIP I got a little stressed, so I came up with a plan. And thought that although few of you have 15 hour flights in your future, we can all use some tips to travel well.



For lots more AIP travel tips...check out my ebook (AIP Safari):


Basic Long Flight Survival Tips
  1. If possible get an aisle seat. This will allow you the freedom to get up and move around as much as possible. I choose to pay extra to pre-book bulkhead seats when possible for the extra space.
  2. Wear comfy clothes. Choose layers when possible, as you'll get hot and cold on the flight. Long flights are not the time for a fashion show. A jacket and fluffy socks are a must.
  3. Bring a travel pillow to help you get comfortable, and help you to hopefully get at least some sleep. 
  4. Hydrate - drink a bottle of water before boarding and every time a flight attendant comes by offering something to drink, take a cup of water. 
  5. Don't sit still. Get up and move around as much as possible. I try once an hour to stand up and move around. My tip is, walk to the toilets at the back of the plane and stand in the galley and stretch for a few minutes. If you have a bulkhead seat you can stand and keep watching movies if you're careful.  
  6. If you can't easily get out of your seat, do shoulder lifts and shoulder rolls, roll your ankles, stretch your legs, etc.
  7. Bring a toothbrush and small tube of toothpaste. Brushing your teeth after eating and before 'bed time' will help you relax and hopefully get some sleep.
  8. Bring teabags of your favorite herbal tea to help you relax before sleeping.

AIP Food Tips

This will be a 15 hour flight, so I'm planning on 2 meals. I'm also bringing some snacks that could be eaten on the domestic legs of the flight in case I don't have time to buy anything. Here's my packing list.
  1. Sweet Potato & Mango Salad -  with some chicken mixed in
  2. Quick Orange Chicken Salad - a serving of the chicken packed with baby spinach, avocado pieces, red onion slices and mandarin segments.     
  3. an ice pack - I was afraid they would take away the ice pack at security, but it was still frozen, so they didn't. My back up plan was a plastic bag and thought I would ask a restaurant for ice before boarding and the flight attendant for more once we board
  4. an apple and a baggie of frozen grapes
  5. carrot sticks
  6. cucumber slices
  7. a pack of AIP compliant jerky
  8. a pack of plantain chips
  9. a bag of dried fruit - as a last resort - just to in case
Everything went according to plan on the flight and I must say that my seat-mates were jealous when I pulled out my meals and enjoyed them while they struggled through airplane food. 

Proof that traveling on the AIP can (and should) be fun and simple. Traveling is an adventure! Get out there and enjoy it. :)

Other great travel food options:
(1) Italian Tuna Mousse with some carrot sticks and plantain chips
(2) Thai Meatballs
(3) Peach & Bacon Sweet Potato Salad
(4) Potluck Broccoli Salad
(5) Meatballs with Strawberry Balsamic Glaze