Monday, April 20, 2015

Moroccan Mint Green Tea Ice Cream

One of my favorite things about living in Dubai is the proximity to so many different cultures and cuisines. I love the bright colors of the Tunisian pottery and the shiny Moroccan tea pots. I love the sights and the aromas and the tantalizing tastes of the region. One of my favorites from this part of the world is Moroccan tea.Unfortunately for those of us on AIP, the high amounts of sugar usually served with Moroccan tea is a big NO-NO.










Back when I indulged in Mint Tea full of sugar, my favorite place was a friend's Iranian restaurant where his mint tea is served with the cutest individual tea service. Isn't that adorable? Plus you can control the sugar.  


Now that summer is fully upon us here in Dubai I thought it was time to start cranking out some cool treats to beat the heat and my mind kept going to the big  bunch of fresh mint in my fridge. I love keeping mint around. A few pieces torn and mixed into a salad gives a fun surprise, or handfuls of mint and parsley make a great seasoning for lamb chops....and there's always mint tea.


And, if the flavor of mint wasn't enough, Mint promotes digestion and soothes stomachs in cases of indigestion or inflammation. When you feel sick to your stomach, drinking a cup of mint tea can give you relief. Plus, the strong and refreshing aroma of mint is a quick and effective remedy for nausea. Additionally, mint has one of the highest antioxidant levels of any food.

As I looked at the mint and started thinking ice cream, I also thought of green tea ice cream and thought...hmmm... I like mint ice cream, I like mint green tea, I like green tea ice cream....why not put them together.

I steeped the green tea and mint in the coconut milk to infuse the flavors. When I removed the tea bags I thought of removing the mint, but decided instead to blend it all up for more of a green tint and more minty goodness.

Now, on to the recipe...



**A note about "AIP Treats": While it is true that this ice cream and other treats on this blog are made with AIP friendly ingredients, it should be noted that the AIP diet is primarily about nutrient density and healing and with that in mind treats should be reserved for special occasions. This are occasional foods, not everyday food. Treat often are higher in sugar content (even fruit) and as sugar causes inflammation for many of us following AIP, we need to make treats an occasional part of our lives.


Moroccan Mint Green Tea Ice Cream
Serves: 2
Time: 20 minutes (+ churning time)

Ingredients:
1/4 of an Avocado
1/3 - 1/2 of a banana
2 T honey
1 cup coconut milk
Fresh mint - 2 handfuls (divided)
2 green tea bags
Pinch of salt 

Method:
- heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan until almost boiling
- add the tea bags and 1/2 (1 handful) of the mint leaves
- let the tea steep in the milk for 10-12 minutes
- remove the tea bags
- place banana, avocado, honey, remaining mint leaves, a pinch of sea salt (1/4 t) and coconut milk with mint leaves into a blender and blend until smooth
- let ice cream mixture cool in the fridge
- churn according to your ice cream maker's instructions
- ENJOY!

** The avocado with oxidize a little and turn some of the mixture a funny brown color. To help prevent this, place cling film right on top of the mixture while chilling.

** I use a Zoku individual bowl ice cream maker and this made 2 bowlfuls


This recipe was shared on the Phoenix Helix AIP roundup &Allergy Free Wednesday