Saturday, April 18, 2015

Lamb Liver Hash

I didn't grow up eating liver. When I asked my mom about it, she said she couldn't get past the thought. I think that's where I've always been too. It seems weird and gross. But, as you follow the AIP diet you learn that as important as it is to remove some foods from your diet, it's equally important to add healing foods, such as bone broth and offal into your diet.

In her post on the importance of organ meat, the Paleo Mom says "Organ meats are the most concentrated source of just about every nutrient, including important vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and essential amino acids....Compared to the muscle meat we are used to eating, organ meats are more densely packed with just about every nutrient, including heavy doses of B vitamins such as: B1, B2, B6, folic acid and the very important vitamin B12.  Organ meats are also loaded with minerals like phosphorus, iron, copper, magnesium, iodine, calcium, potassium, sodium, selenium, zinc and manganese and provide the important fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K.  Organ meats are known to have some of the highest concentrations of naturally occurring vitamin D of any food source.  Organ meats also contain high amounts of essential fatty acids, including arachidonic acid and the omega-3 fats EPA and DHA." If you still have doubts about why you should eat organ meat, I suggest reading her whole post here (http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/why-everyone-should-be-eating-organ.html)

I knew I should do it and I knew why, but the idea still weirded me out. However, last week I was visiting a friend who told me that she loves liver and she convinced me to give it a try. So, yesterday while grocery shopping I picked up a lamb liver (lamb is the only commercially raised meat I buy because our lamb in UAE comes from Australia and their lamb is mostly grass fed, so so feel safe with it). I chose the one that looked the cleanest...the least amount of membranes and things that world gross me out.

I still didn't know what I would do with it, but once I got started I was pleased with the results. I can tell it's not muscle meat, but I like the flavor. 

Lamb Liver Hash

Serves: 5
Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
- Bacon lardons- 200 grams
- 1 pound lamb liver - sliced thinly
- 2 medium white onions - sliced
- 1 1/2 T dried garlic flakes or 2 cloves 
- Salt to taste
- Handful of roughly chopped parsley 
- Olive oil, coconut oil or fat of choice

Method:
- fry bacon (if using strips of bacon, cut into lardons before frying)
- remove bacon when crisp and cook onion and garlic flakes in bacon fat
- remove onions and set aside 
- fry liver slices in batches in bacon fat, olive oil or coconut oil (I used all three for this experiment). If sliced really thin, this will be about a minute on eat side. Move liver to a plate as the pieces cook.
- TIP- If you're freaked out by the thought of liver like I was, freeze the liver and slice it frozen. This will help you slice it thinly without it being mushy.
- Once all the liver is cooked, add bacon, onions, garlic and liver back to the pan, add in the chopped parsley and sea salt (about 1 t or to taste) and cook for 2-3 minutes. 

Serving suggestion - top a plate of mixed greens with a big spoonful of hash and a 1:4 of an avocado, drizzle with olive oil and enjoy.