Thursday, April 30, 2015

Beef & Pumpkin Curry

CURRY! The word that strikes fear in the heart of AIPers around the world. Admit it, you saw the title of the post and you were scared. How can curry exist with the chili peppers and seed based spices? Can it be done?

Curry is especially scary for me, because it was the meal that made my AIP decision. My 'last meal' was a big vegetable curry with traditional spices, potatoes, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and chick peas. I think the only thing in that curry I currently eat was the coconut milk. I ate a big bowl and then went for a walk. 10 minutes into the walk I thought 'why do my knees hurt?' Then, 'my ankles hurt too.' And, before long I realized my neck was stiff, my fingers were stiff. I was an inflammation mess. It was my own personal nightshade nightmare.

That evening I was on the Paleo Mom site reading about AIP and I started cold turkey the next morning. 

What do I miss the most? I miss the convenience of going out with friends. And sadly in Dubai that often means going out for Indian food. Curry! Ahhh! 

Then, last Saturday night I was hanging with some friends and an Indian friend asked about my diet. He seemed shocked as I named what I don't eat and then I ended with....basically no Indian food. That gave me a new determination and the very next day this recipe was born.


Beef & Pumpkin Curry

Time: 35-40 minutes
Serves: 4-5


Ingredients:
1/2 T fat of choice (coconut oil)
1 pound grass fed ground beef
1 medium red onion - diced finely
4 cloves garlic - diced finely 
2 t ground ginger
1 t ground cinnamon 
3/4 t powdered turmeric 
1/2 can coconut milk - about 1 cup 
1 cup water or broth
3 1/2 cups chopped (1 inch cubes) pumpkin/ butternut
1 cup frozen spinach
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup raisins
Juice of one lime
Salt to taste.

Method:
- chop/ prep all vegetables
   - chop onion & mince garlic
   - peel & chop pumpkin/ butternut
   - peel and slice carrots - 2 medium or  
      one large
- heat fat in a large soup pot. Once hot, add ground beef and let it brown (stirring to break up).
- once almost brown, add onions and garlic and the spices (ginger, cinnamon & turmeric). Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add carrots & pumpkin and liquids (broth or water and coconut milk). Cover pot and bring to a boil, then simmer until veggies are tender (about 15 minutes)
- Stir in spinach, cover and let cook another 5 minutes.
- Stir in raisins and taste to season. Add salt to your liking. Let simmer a couple more minutes.
- Squeeze in lime juice and serve immediately.