Tuesday, October 7, 2014

What's in and What's Out of the Shopping Basket?

One of the most common things people ask me when I tell them about the AIP diet is, "well, what can you eat?" I know that AIP seems limiting, but I feel like I'm getting more variety than ever, especially when it comes to meat and veggies. I feel like stepping away from some of my standard purchases has forced me to be more creative in the kitchen and think more about the foods that I'm putting into my shopping basket and eventually into my mouth. I never really ate a lot of junk food, but I did rely on nuts and eggs for a large portion of my calories and protein....and I'll admit it, chips (potato or corn) often found their way into my cart. :)

At first glance the AIP diet can seem very restrictive, but I prefer to look at it in a 'glass half full' kind of way and focus on all of the yummy food that I get to eat. Plus, check out some of the links below to see the nutritional information about some of these yummy foods.


What's on my grocery list most weeks?

  • Fruit - - bananas, pineapple, berries (blueberries or strawberries), lemons, limes, fresh coconut, plums, avocado, watermelon and occasionally other things that look good like pomegranate seeds
  • Veggies - - asparagus, brussel sprouts, cabbage (white & purple), carrots, cauliflower, celery, cilantro/ coriander, cucumbers, garlic, ginger, green onions, kale, lettuce, mint, parsnips, plantains, pumpkin, okra, onions, spaghetti squash (when I can get a good deal), spinach, sweet potatoes, zucchini
  • Meat - - chicken, grass fed ground beef, lamb bones (for making broth), salmon (fresh/ organic and canned), shrimp, tuna (canned or fresh), turkey (occasionally if cheaper than good chicken), pork (occasionally)
  • Other - - coconut milk, canned pumpkin, ground turmeric, dried herbs (thyme, rosemary, basil, etc.), coconut yogurt when I can find it, coconut oil, olive oil, honey, maple syrup, olives
Here is a helpful shopping list from Phoenix Helix.

What am I avoiding? This is the AIP NO-NO List. 
I know I've posted this in links, but thought it would be helpful to post here for those who many not read the links.

  • No grains - - wheat, barley, corn, quinoa, polenta, rice, etc.
  • No dairy 
  • No eggs
  • No legumes - including all beans, lentils, soy & peanuts
  • No nuts
  • No seeds
  • No seed based spices - - cumin, coriander, nutmeg, peppercorns, mustard
  • No nightshades - - tomatoes, eggplant, capsicums and all chilis 
  • No processed sugar
  • No processed oil
  • No processed foods