Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Spinach Plantain Cakes

Carbs have always been my favorite part of the meal. I've been known to plan my meals around the starch....what goes well with pasta or rice or quinoa or what can I top that big baked potato with??

I always loved my veggies, but they were always an aside to the carb of choice. The exception would have to be cucumbers which I've been known to eat by the dozen. :)

Being on AIP I haven't really thought about carbs too much. I'm just enjoying my veggies too much. But, tonight I saw the plantains on the counter and my first thought was the leftover mashed potato cakes that my grandma used to make. 

So, I chopped and boiled the plantains.

Then, dug through the crisper for my veggies of choice - spring onion and spinach.


Once the plantains were boiled (fork tender - about 20 minutes), I peeled them, mashed them, mixed them with the veggies and formed patties.


The patties were fried for about 5 minutes on each side in 1/2 T of coconut oil over a medium heat. Once cooked, they were the perfect accompaniment to a healthy dinner of baked salmon, roasted okra and carrots.


Spinach Plantain Cakes

Serves: 2-4 

Ingredients:
- 4 small plantains - a little less than 2 cups mashed
- 1 spring onion - white & green - chopped
- 1 cup of finely shredded spinach
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/4 t ground garlic
- 1/2 T coconut oil - for frying
- up to 1 T hot water

Method:
- chop plantains into 1 inch pieces
- boil plantains in salted water - 20 minutes
- chop veggies
- peel and mash plantains, add enough water to help them mash, add salt & garlic and veggies
- form into 4 patties and fry in 1/2 T coconut oil for 3-5 minutes on each side.


- - - - 
This recipe is shared on this week's AIP Recipe Roundtable on Phoenix Helix's blog