Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Moroccan Chicken with Cauliflower 'Cous Cous'

One of the things that I would consider the biggest blessing of the AIP diet is the fact that I LOVE SOUP...and stew and casseroles. I'm a big fan of one pot meals that can simmer away and always taste better the next day. Even before AIP this was one of my favorite recipes to cook and serve. It was an especially easy meal to serve to guests because it's not spicy, it doesn't have a lot of weird ingredients and it can be ready and waiting for them. 


Now that I'm on AIP I find that my norm is to throw together a big pot of soup and that way I get my proteins, my veggies and it's an easy way to get bone broth. For the benefits of bone broth, please see this post.

I used to serve it on a bed of cous cous, but since that's not AIP friendly, this stew can instead be served on top of a bed of...

"Cauliflower Cous Cous/ Rice.
To make Cauliflower Cous Cous, take a head of raw cauliflower and pulse it in a food processor until it resembles rice or cous cous, then add the 'cous cous' to a pot along with 1/4-1/2 cup of water and a pinch of salt and simmer until the cauliflower gets tender and soaks up the water. Before serving, flavor your cous cous with cilantro leaves, mint leaves, a few raisins, pomegranate seeds and some finely chopped onion. 

Moroccan Chicken
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 carrots - large bite sized chunks
- 1 large zucchini - sliced
- 2 lemons - sliced
- 1 large onion - sliced
- handful of green olives
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 t ground turmeric & 1 t ground ginger & 1/2 t cinnamon
- salt

This meal can be cooked by combining all ingredients in a stock pot on the stove and cooking until veggies are tender and flavors have combined, or it can be placed in a dutch oven and baked, or you can start with raw chicken and cook the whole thing in a crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.


UPDATE - for my first AIP batch cooking day, this was one of the recipes I chose. Unfortunately I couldn't get any decent chicken this week. So, I just made 'Moroccan Veggies ' and enjoyed it with 'Cauliflower Cous Cous' with mint, cilantro, spring onions & pomegranate seeds.

This recipe was shared on the Paleo AIP Recipe Roundup for this week. Check out the roundup for more AIP friendly recipes.