Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Leftover Turkey Salad .... Can I Put up my Christmas Tree Yet?

In my mind, this is how seasons work... summer ends, you eat pumpkin for a while, then you eat turkey, then you eat leftover turkey while putting up the Christmas tree. And, I love Christmas and my Christmas tree, so I'm always ready to start decorating.

I bought some turkey this week (because I wanted chicken and turkey was cheaper), and I decided to pretend that some of it was leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner and come up with a "leftover turkey salad."



This salad is full of all the goodness of Thanksgiving dinner without hours in the kitchen. File this away now for using up your leftovers....or use shredded chicken and enjoy this salad now!

Don't worry, I will wait until I'm eating actual leftover Thanksgiving turkey leftovers before putting up the tree! .... maybe... ;)


Leftover Turkey Salad

Serves - 2
Time - 5 minutes

Ingredients:
- 1 cup shredded/ chopped cooked turkey meat (or chicken)
- 1 cup leftover roasted brussels sprouts - cut into quarters or eighths - see below if you don't have leftovers
- 1 green apple - diced
- 1/4 cup red onion - diced
- 1/2 cup celery - diced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (or dried cranberries/ cherries if you have some without sugar)
- 2 T cilantro (coriander leaves) - chopped
- sea salt - to taste
For Dressing:
- 1/2 avocado - mashed
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1/2 t ground dried garlic

Method:
- mix all 'dressing' ingredients in the bottom of a large mixing bowl until well combined
- add other ingredients and stir to combine dressing over all ingredients
- serve on a bed of lettuce, or wrap in lettuce leaves
- serve with homemade sweet potato chips -
       slice thinly, coat with coconut oil and bake at 400F/200C for 15 minutes
       (until edges get brown and crispy)

- flavors are even better the 2nd day


If you don't have leftover brussels sprouts- 2 cups of chopped fresh brussels sprouts will yield about 1 cup roasted. Preheat oven to 400F/ 200C. Chop off the ends, remove outer leaves and cut into quarters or eighths depending on size. Coat with about 1 T coconut oil and season with  1/2 t sea salt, 1/4 garlic and 1/2 t rosemary. Pour into baking dish and cook for 20-25 minutes until they brown. Let them cool before adding to the salad. 

True confession...no, I'm not putting up my Christmas tree. But, I am enjoying the 2nd serving of this straight out of the bowl while I type up this recipe.