Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Ginger is My New Best Friend

 One of the first things I stressed out about on the AIP diet was the lack of spice - due to the elimination of 'nightshade vegetables.' Mexican, Thai & Indian foods are all favorites of mine and I couldn't imagine life without peppers. Then I remembered ginger and have been adding it to all my meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner. This simple root has become a staple in my cooking over the last 2 weeks. 
But, not only is ginger a delicious way to get that spice kick I was missing, it turns out that ginger is a miracle food (or so it would seem). Check out this post to learn more about the
health benefits of ginger. What was most exciting to me was to read the following..."Modern scientific research has revealed that ginger possesses numerous therapeutic properties including antioxidant effects, an ability to inhibit the formation of inflammatory compounds, and direct anti-inflammatory effects." What, this yummy, spicy, little root reduces inflammation. It couldn't get any better. 

About 10 days ago I had the opportunity to test the power of ginger. I had a couple of days in a row with some pain (not related to my auto immune disease), but pain and inflammation none the less and since the AIP diet says not to take NSAIDS I wondered what I would do without my trusty friend (Brufen). As I was walking through the mall I saw my favorite salad place (Zest) and remembered that they have ginger as an add-on for their juices. So, my new obsession was born - pineapple, celery and ginger juice. As it turns out, all 3 of these foods have healing properties....not just healing properties...but more specific to my needs... anti-inflammatory properties. Check out the links above to read more about pineapple and celery. As it turns our, this tangy, sweet and slightly spicy juice blend is good for me!