Friday, October 3, 2014

Check out the Lamb Jello

Is it weird that I got really excited last night when I saw how much gelatin was in my latest batch of bone broth? Looks at all that yummy 'lamb jello.'



One of the things they talk about a lot with the AIP diet is the importance of bone broth. At first I'll admit that the idea of drinking a cup of broth every morning and/or evening seemed weird. But, I've discovered it to be one of the most comforting parts of my day. Right before bed I love to heat up a cup of broth and sip on it while reading. YUM!

Here are some of the benefits I've found online of bone broth:
(1) seals your gut and helps promote healthy digestion
(2) inhibits infections
(3) reduces joint pain and inflammation
(4) fights inflammation
(5) promotes strong healthy bones
(6) promotes healthy hair and nail growth

Plus, and I haven't seen this written anywhere, but I'm convinced that it works as a youth serum. I have had more people tell me how young I look in the last couple of days and I noticed last night that I seem to have less fine lines around my eyes.

So, how do I make my bone broth. I start with 1 kg of lamb bones from the organic store and roast them for 45 minutes. Then, toss them in the crock pot with some root veggies, add 2-3 T of apple cider vinegar, cover with water and cook on low for 24 hours. At the end of 24 hours I strain off the broth, and add more vinegar and water and make a 2nd batch with the same bones.